Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A letter from my mother back to Anoosha....Marnie


I have to share some of these exchanges, especially from my mother, who was here in Afghanistan. These letters mean everything to these kids. I was int he orphanage the other day...I don't spend much time with the kids because my job is funding and paving the way for my staff to get their job done...increasingly difficult right now as we are making policitcal waves...but the girls lit up when I introduced myself as Rosses daughter....they wait breathlessly for her group letters...here is her latest.

Dear Anoosha....I just read your piece on pollution in Kabul with interest, because here we are very aware of the cost of our way of life in pollution, destruction of
our natural resources. It is a worldwide problem. Here in Seattle and the northwest part of the country, many people are becoming concerned....we have a great wealth of resources in our Puget sound waterways and the fish that come from them, as well as heavily wooded forests that many builders want to cut down to make room for more houses, businesses. Washington has a strong agricultural interest....on the west side of our Cascade mountain range, there are fruits, berries & vegetables (flowers too) while on the east side of the mountains, which is drier & hotter, the farmers have large acreage of wheat,potatoes, orchards of fruit, nuts, etc.

In fact the eastern side of the state reminds us of Afghanistan with bare but beautiful hills and dry, arid climate, more sun etc. It is hard for me to visualize Kabul with 4.5 million people but I can imagine what damage the wind does with the shortage of trees. When we were there in mid 60's I think it was closer to 500,000 + people. And spring was a lovely time, with the new growth on all the trees. Crops being planted.

I just wish we could send some of our trees your way. But thinking and talking about these concerns is the first step to making change, then ultimately people around you become aware. Education is the first step. You are right about the government not being able to reduce pollution alone. It will take many people thinking about it and planting some trees in their compounds, then some vegetables & flowers for the families needs, then perhaps a tree planting program to start replacing what has been lost through the wars. It will take time, but I can see you have such an interest in making life better around you....sometimes we can only take little steps to begin with.

Also I can see the difference you have made with the children in the orphanage....there are more happy faces! The past weeks I have had some health issues, but I haven't forgotten the children and hold you all in my heart daily. Will resume writing when possible. I would like to continue (I like to write) but now must get ready for a dentist appointment this morning. More later. Lovingly, Ross
This is a picture of when we were here as children with our parents...this is a graveyard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Counter