Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Last meeting of informal consortium...

Dear All,
I thank you for taking time out of your day to meet with us yesterday. This is a brief recap and a reiteration of the requests that I made in the meeting.
On April 30th we will have the opportunity to meet with MoLSA and CPAN for 20 minutes. I am preparing a report of our experiences in Alluhoddin that is very specific. The report will conclude with a request for an investigation into how the national orphanages are being managed and a request for intervention that is systemic. Our report will also include information from other organizations about prior failed efforts to make changes in the orphanages. This information will underline the systemic problem and disallow the notion that this problem is specific to Alluhoddin or to PARSA's viewpoint. As a courtesy, I will be providing the deputy minister, and Soraya Hakim a copy of the report before the meeting and we will be copying Dr. Khalily. As I stated, in the meeting I intend to simply report. I will not debate our report or engage in discussion. I am not asking for changes based on the PARSA report. I am asking for an evenhanded investigation that will result in changes and so will ask for a response in writing to our group.

Requests from you:
This is an informal consortium and I would like to know if your organization will endorse our effort. May I include your name our list of organizations calling for change?
Do you have anecdotes that I may include in the report?
Can you have a representative at the meeting? This is "for show" as we do not intend to do anything but present but it will underscore how important we feel the effort is.

Finally, it has taken us over 6 months of very intensive advocacy work to bring this issue to the attention of authorities in such a way that we are being listened to. I do not expect much out of this meeting and would like to begin thinking about "next steps", and I would welcome your ideas. It is difficult to organize this as such efforts have such a history of getting lost in rhetoric, talk and reasons that nothing can be done. I welcome your ideas.

I will send the report out to you no later than Sunday. Again, thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Counter