Sunday, February 18, 2007

Young Friends of PARSA-from Ross to Anoosha

(Ross is on the left sitting with Betty Tisdale-founder of HALO)

Dear Anoosha....I just must tell you how well you express yourself in English. Marnie has sent your 2 Web Journal notes to me as email (I have difficulty managing the computer). And I have wanted to answer them and tell you about this part of the world.

My name is Ross Hartung and I am Marnie's mother. I am 72 years old, retired (though you wouldn't know that...my life has become so busy) from working in the Seattle School system in classrooms with "special" children, who have handicaps, either physical or mental. (oftentimes both). I also worked with classes of early elementary children. Teaching & learning have been important in my life.

I live with my husband Jack, in the city of Seattle which is in Washington state, the northwestern corner of the United States. I was born in Seattle, but spent years away as an adult. Living in Kabul between 1965-1969, turned out to be one of the greatest experiences I had....we came to care deeply about the people and land....and personally, I learned how much alike people are all over the world. Now if we could just treat each other that way and celebrate the ways we share with other cultures and people, there might be a chance of peace. But that is another letter.

I have 3 daughters and 4 grandsons. Marnie is my oldest daughter (50 yrs.) and her 2 sons, (25yrs. & 27 yrs)., I am very close to. She has always worked at helping other people, particularly helping women learn to find their talents and develop them. Being able to contribute to their lives.

Then comes Ruthy, my middle daughter (47 yrs.) who has a yoga studio in Sedona, Arizona (southwest US) where she teaches 4 courses yearly (30 days ea.) to yoga teachers and has a community of people in her studio that centers around teaching and healing. I try to visit her every year and participate in the yoga classes. She also comes to Seattle on vacation.

Fran is my youngest daughter (43 yrs.) and she has 2 sons (ages 12 & 15..almost 16). They live on Bainbridge Island which is a 35 minute ferryboat ride from Seattle, so I get to see/talk to her more often than the other girls. She is a single mom, working fulltime with an interior designer on the island. Her boys are also close to my heart.

It is very hard in our culture to keep connection with families because we are so spread out. And it is also hard to slow down enough to be together with all the activities, school, work etc.that we are caught up in. This is part of our time and life here. I have always enjoyed writing letters, even when there doesn't seem to be time for it, because it helps clarify my thinking and sharing life with others is a learning experience. We have a family spot in the country that helps to bring us together and I will tell you about Harper in another letter.

I enjoyed hearing about your life, your sister and school. And will look forward to another letter soon. Writing hurriedly, but lovingly. Ross (my grandsons call me "Rossie")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter
Free Counter